Master's degree for creative minds in Berlin - private and state-approved
Make a leap at the BTK for an exciting and creative career in Photography. How? With a future-oriented, accredited Photography Master’s program at the BTK – in an environment that sets no limits on the development of your artistic potential either personally or geographically. Practical, personal, with special international opportunities.
Create your story. Inspire the world. – Study in Berlin, in the very heart of this pulsating international metropolis and center of creativity and start-ups, right at Potsdamer Platz. Become part of the world’s biggest education network, Laureate International Universities, and gain valuable experiences in international studies and practices, both in Germany and abroad.
Award winning Bachelor Project: Thomas Friedrich Schäfer, Experience Rooms
Student project: Maren Demant, Till G
Student project: Sheila Buser, Kamelhaarfarben
Student project: Santtu Laine, Hibernating
The goal of the Master’s program is to engage you in the creation of intriguing and challenging photographic images. The core of the program consists of two experimental projects where you are free to develop your own line of work.
Instruction and guidance in regard to the conception and documentation of the work-flow will gradually train you on self-reflexivity necessary for making clear decisions in the creative process.
Finding and carving out new visual modes, expressing questions, insights, and narratives that reverberate the demands of the malleable space of cultural discourse afford an historical appreciation and a sensitivity for future developments. Thus, we focus a considerable part of the program on the analysis of how narratives in general are structured and formed and how visual story-telling works. Further theory classes allow you to place your work within an historical, sociopolitical, and media theoretical context.
With an additional elective block, we enable you to choose from a wide range of classes that impart knowledge of strategies in entrepreneurship and curatorial practices. The Master’s thesis in the third semester comprises a photographic project and an academic essay.« Less
BTK Berlin – Vibrant metropolis
Creativity, practical knowledge, team and entrepreneurial spirit at an international level meet at BTK.
Practical and personal with huge international possibilities, thanks to the membership of the world’s largest university network Laureate and to a large partner network distributed over all continents.
Boundless international prospects
- Membership in the world’s largest network of universities, Laureate International
- Integrated semester abroad at one of our partner universities worldwide
- Transnational internship projects
- Intercultural exchange with students and faculty
Boundless practical orientation
- Integrated internships and traineeships
- Lectures and events led by successful personalities and partners from the real world
Boundless individual development
- Small study groups
- Individual monitoring and close collaboration with professors from the real world
- Individual support from the International Office for the semester abroad
Last but not least – each individual on our campus
Students, faculty, and staff: all of them make BTK special with their own wonderful stories.« Less
APPLY TODAY AT BTK
- Please complete our ONLINE APPLICATION FORM in its entirety.
Once we have reviewed your application, you will receive an invitation to the interview and will be asked to provide a written proposal for a master’s thesis.
Please bring along to the interview:
- Your résumé in a tabular format.
- Bachelor’s degree, transcript, and portfolio with around 20 examples of your artistic work.
- Proposal for a potential master’s thesis, roughly sketched out. The proposal should encompass approx. 5 DIN A4-sized pages, including visuals and the following: title, brief description of the topic, artistic and academic significance of the project, possible methods and resources for realization.